Granada's architectural landmark
Granada was founded in 1524. The original cathedral was built during the following century. It was burned to the ground in 1856 by William Walker and his band of mercenaries, as they were driven from Central America after their lunatic adventure. (They destroyed most of Granada in a fit of rage.) The cathedral was rebuilt in 1880 and renovated to its current form in 1905. The style is typically eclectic – classic blended with renaissance – designed by the Italian architect Andres Zappata, commissioned by Fr. Silvestre Alvarez. The cathedral faces the Central Park, on the east side of the square.