Near San Miguel de Allende is a famous UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Sanctuary of Atotonilco. From this site, in 1810, Father Miguel Hidalgo took the banner representing the Virgen of Guadalupe, as the emblem of the Independence Movement. Because of its historical importance for Mexico, it received an influx of restoration efforts around the time of the 2010 bicentennial. Among those efforts was a complete restoration of the most elaborate chapel, immediately to the left as one enters the sanctuary. And what a fantastic job - for the first time we felt that we were experiencing what colonial Spanish religious art must have been like when it was new. It was wonderful to visit this terrific place with our friends Manuel and Alejandra as we traveled from Queretaro to Guanajuato.